Tasmanian Visitor Survey
The Tasmanian Visitor Survey (TVS) provides a profile of the characteristics, travel behaviour and expenditure of international and domestic visitors to Tasmania.
The survey is acknowledged as the most reliable source of statistical data on visitors to Tasmania, being based on an exit sample of more than 9000 visitors to Tasmania each year. As an island, visitors are counted as they depart from Tasmania's air and sea ports - a real advantage for data collection.
Tasmanian Tourism Snapshot
The latest TVS results, along with additional data provided by Tourism Research Australia, are published in our quarterly Tasmanian Tourism Snapshot.
Data collected through the Tasmanian Visitor Survey is stored in our survey database.
- Total visitors to Tasmania
- Nights spent in Tasmania
- Places visited, including overnight
- Special niche visitors
- Touring route profiles
- Visitor demographics
How to use TVS Analyser
To access the data, visit the TVS Analyser website then:
- In the top left, expand the plus (+) symbol next to "TVS Analyser".
- Click on the plus (+) symbol next to the topics of interest (e.g. Total visitors).
- Click on the table of your choice to display the data report.
- Click the ‘Customise’ button in the top right of the table to further analyse the data.
You can also download the data in PDF or Excel format.
NB: You may experience difficulties opening the Excel files in TVS Analyser if using the Firefox browser.
TVS Analyser User Guide
Current and previous TVS questionnaires:
- 2017-18 Questionnaire [PDF 445KB]
- 2016-17 Questionnaire [PDF 467KB]
- 2015-16 Questionnaire [PDF 438KB]
- 2014-15 Questionnaire [PDF 1.06MB]
- 2013-14 Questionnaire [PDF 1.1MB ]
- 2011-12 Questionnaire [PDF 583KB]
- 2008-09 Questionnaire [PDF 207KB]
- 2007-08 Questionnaire [PDF 570KB]
TVS Reliability and interpretation notes
Visitor estimates under 5,000 are subject to high sampling variability and should be used with caution.
TVS survey estimates are subject to random sampling error. When interpreting these figures, readers are advised to consult the Tasmanian Visitor Survey - Confidence intervals tables [PDF 266KB] before drawing conclusion from the TVS data.
Due to updated sampling and weighting procedures from 13 July 2014, some Tasmanian Visitor Survey estimates have been historically revised to allow for comparability over time. See the TVS upgrade [PDF 199KB] for more details.